Founded during Washington University in St. Louis’s Sesquicentennial year, the Gerry and Bob Virgil Ethic of Service Award is an annual award recognizing a select group of WUSTL community members who exemplify a character of service and giving to the St. Louis region.
Any member of the WUSTL community, past or current, who resides in and serves the St. Louis community is eligible to receive the award. This includes students, faculty, staff, alumni, retirees and volunteers of the university.
Nominations are accepted at any time, and are due by Friday, February 7, 2014 at 5 p.m. Decisions are announced in March, and honorees will be recognized at a reception, followed by a private dinner, in mid-April.
Nominations must be submitted online, and supplemental materials will not be accepted. If you need assistance submitting your online application, please email Stephanie Kurtzman.
Characteristics of Award Honorees
The award committee anticipates a broad range of nominations that define service to community in many different ways. While the committee is not looking for a specific type of community involvement, characteristics of award honorees might include one or more of the following:
- Shows compassion for others
- Exudes passion for a social, cultural or economic issue
- Creates positive impact on the St. Louis community
- Considers service to the community to be a way of life
- Goes above and beyond professional responsibilities in their service to St. Louis
- Is dedicated to serving others
- Demonstrates selflessness
- Positively influences other's perceptions of St. Louis
- Believes in the St. Louis region
- Inspires compassion and action in others
Nicole T.S. Cortés & Jessica Mayo Joe Edwards Nick Miller Cynthia D. Williams Ken Zheng
For More Information
Learn more about Gerry and Bob Virgil.
View a list of all past honorees, dating back to 2004.
If you have questions about the award and/or nomination process, please contact:
Director, Community Service Office
Associate Director, Gephardt Institute for Public Service